The sport has never been more popular, with more than $6 billion in annual revenue and a $4 billion-plus television market share.
But its popularity has also been undermined by safety concerns, a lack of a clear national governing body, and a lack to a large extent of national television.
“The sport of NASCAR is at its best when it has a national governing entity that can hold itself accountable for safety issues,” said Kevin Ragan, an analyst at Wedbush Securities who tracks the sport.
“NASCAR has not yet achieved that.”
The sport is now dominated by the five-time champion, Denny Hamlin, a 30-year-old Texas native who also happens to be a man of few words.
He has a $1.6 million, one-time payment from the federal government for an injury he suffered during a 2013 race in Mexico City that forced him to miss the 2013 Daytona 500.
But Hamlin’s struggles have not gone unnoticed in NASCAR circles, with a growing number of fans complaining about the safety of drivers in the sport and even the league itself.
The governing body is now in the midst of an internal review of how the sport can improve safety.
“I think we’ve reached a point where we’re not getting the results that we want,” said Michael Waltrip, president of NASCAR’s parent company, NASCAR Enterprises.
“The results are not as good as we want them to be.”
The NASCAR team at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indiana in November was the first in the series to announce it would no longer run a two-car race in the wake of the crash.
And last week, NASCAR announced that the series would conduct a two round, two-stop event at the Daytona 500, instead of the two-round, two stop format it had been running since 2009.
The race was moved from the middle of the track to the back of the field in 2016 and had been scheduled for next year’s Daytona 500 but was not able to be run due to safety concerns.
NASCAR said the changes were in response to a request from the U.S. National Safety Council, which was tasked with determining safety protocols for the race.
Hamlin said on Twitter last week that he felt that change was necessary, and he added that he was also concerned that the safety protocols in place at the time of the accident did not reflect the situation at the turn of the century.
In a tweet Tuesday, Hamlin also expressed his disappointment that NASCAR had not offered him an apology for his accident.
“Thank you to all the fans for the outpouring of love and support,” Hamlin said.
The changes were made to make sure that we have a safer racing environment, and now I can only hope that I can bring more to the sport than the bad things that were said and written about me in the media in 2016.” “
I’m very disappointed that NASCAR has not responded to the concerns and concerns that were expressed in 2016.
The changes were made to make sure that we have a safer racing environment, and now I can only hope that I can bring more to the sport than the bad things that were said and written about me in the media in 2016.”
NASCar has had its share of accidents.
This past year, Hamlins death came after the accident that killed the former U.K. driver Michael Schumacher in the 2016 Daytona 500 race.
Hamlin was driving the No. 3 car of the No: 8 car at the event when the car went airborne and crashed into the wall in Turn 1, killing Schumachers father, Martin.
In 2016, the league suspended its driver evaluation program for one year.
In May of that year, NASCAR said it would stop running a two day event, and will instead hold a series of events.
Ragan, who tracks NASCAR for Wedbush, said the league is currently considering several changes to how the series runs its events, including reducing the number of cars allowed at each event and whether the series should run two races a year.
He also noted that there are questions about how NASCAR’s governing body should operate.
“We are looking at a lot of ways to improve safety, whether that’s having an outside entity that could hold themselves accountable for how things are run,” Ragan said.
As for Hamlin himself, he said the situation is not one he would want to be part of.
“It’s something that I want to just kind of move on from,” Hamlins tweeted.
While the incident with Schumach may have brought Hamlin into the public spotlight, the race in which he was killed is also widely regarded as a cautionary tale for all drivers who face similar situations.
A year after his accident, Hamels father, John, told reporters at the Talladega 500 that he is still “very concerned” about Hamlin.
When asked whether he thought he had a moral obligation to run a race at the risk of his son’s death, John Hamlin answered with a resounding no. And,